What test(s) do I need to check my fertility?
If you are male then a sperm test would be your first step. You can have this test as a one-off standalone test which you can arrange by calling the clinic. We will call you back with same day results on the day of the test.
For a female, depending on your age and history you may need a simple blood test like AMH to tell you if you fertility is normal for your age. You may need an ultrasound scan or you may need to have your Fallopian tubes checked to confirm they are not blocked. A blood test like an AMH hormone test can be performed as a one-off standalone test which you can arrange by calling the clinic. We will call you with the result of the test and what it means to you around 7 days after blood is taken.
If may be that you want the basic fertility tests to rule in or out a potential problem preventing you from conceiving. In this case, the 'First Steps' consultation package would be your best option as outlined as follows.
'First Steps' Investigation
The CRGW First Steps Infertility Investigation Package is a comprehensive investigation of both male and female partners for the most common causes of infertility. The package is available to couples who have not had an initial consultation or follow-up consultation.
- two years where the woman is under 35 years old, or
- one year if the woman if more than 35 years old
- people concerned about their potential fertility even though they may not be currently trying for a baby
- measurement of the AMH hormone level as part of the ovarian reserve assessment to get an indication of how many eggs a women has remaining and the quality of these eggs. This information gives information about both a woman's spontaneous fertility potential and also her possible response to stimulation with hormones during fertility treatment
- an ovarian and uterine ultrasound scan
- a semen analysis. The sperm sample can be given at any time after a man has abstained from sexual activity for between two to seven days.
- a mini consultation with an CRGW fertility specialist to review the test results and discuss future options