The CRGW First Steps Infertility Investigation Package is a comprehensive investigation of both male and female partners for the most common causes of infertility. The package is available to couples who have not had an initial consultation or follow-up consultation.
Many couples who have been trying to conceive for some months would like to know quickly if there is a problem that could prevent them from achieving a pregnancy. Some couples may just like to be assured that, with regular sexual intercourse; it is only a matter of time before they conceive.
Who can benefit from First Steps?
First Steps is recommended to couples who have been trying to conceive for:
- two years where the woman is under 35 years old, or
- one year if the woman if more than 35 years old
- people concerned about their potential fertility even though they may not be currently trying for a baby
What is included in First Steps?
First Steps includes:
- measurement of the AMH hormone level as part of the ovarian reserve assessment to get an indication of how many eggs a women has remaining and the quality of these eggs. This information gives information about both a woman’s spontaneous fertility potential and also her possible response to stimulation with hormones during fertility treatment
- an ovarian and uterine ultrasound scan
- a semen analysis. The sperm sample can be given at any time after a man has abstained from sexual activity for between two to seven days.
- a mini consultation with an CRGW fertility specialist to review the test results and discuss future options
Does First Steps diagnose all causes of infertility?
First steps is a package to investigate the most common causes of infertility. A fertility specialist will discuss with you other available tests such as HyCosy / HSG testing for open (patent) Fallopian tubes if indicated.
How long does First Steps take?
First Steps will require two appointments at CRGW in a month. At the first appointment we will take a blood sample from the female and a sperm sample from the male. Sperm samples can be produced at home and brought to CRGW within an hour of production or produced in purpose built private room at CRGW. At the second appointment a fertility specialist will perform an ultrasound scan and discuss the results of all of the tests with you. Your fertility specialist who will ask questions about your medical history and whether you are currently trying to conceive or have ever had any fertility tests or investigations, have ever been pregnant or have ever had any children.
At the end of the 15 minute mini consultation we will either reassure you that there is no indication that you will have trouble conceiving or, alternatively, discuss the implications of any unexpected findings and outline your options, including the possibility of fertility treatment.
The results may either identify treatable problems which are preventing pregnancy occurring or they may reassure the couple that they have a good chance of conceiving naturally.